An election for Office of Mayor, Office of Councillor and Office of School Board Trustee (School District 62) will be held on Saturday, October 20, 2018.
The elected candidates will serve a four year term ending in October, 2022.
It is the responsibility of candidates, elector organizations and those wishing to take part in the election process by means of advocacy, to comply with the requirements of the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act .
For more information, you may wish to watch one of the videos at "Thinking of Running for Local Office"
To qualify as a candidate, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older on general voting day, October 20, 2018 (born on or before October 20, 2000);
- Be a Canadian citizen;
- Be a resident of BC for at least six months immediately preceding the day nomination papers are filed;
- Not be disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9 a.m. - Nomination period begins
Friday, September 14, 2018 at 4 p.m. - Nomination period ends
Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 4 p.m. - Period to challenge candidate nominations ends
Friday, September 21, 2018 - Deadlines for:
- Decision on challenges of candidate nominations
- Withdrawal of candidates
- Withdrawal of candidate endorsement by elector organization
- Submitting originals of nomination documents to the Chief Elector Officer that had been delivered by fax or email
Wednesday, October 10, 2018, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Advance Voting opportunity at Colwood City Hall
Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Advance Voting opportunity at the Colwood City Hall
Saturday, October 20, 2018, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - General Voting Day
Friday, January 18, 2019 - Deadline to file Campaign Financing Disclosure Statement
When can candidates begin campaigning?
There are no time restrictions for people to go out and talk to others to let them know they plan to run for office. Nomination Period does not begin until 9 a.m. on Tuesday, September 4 and runs until 4 p.m. on Friday, September 14 at which point the Chief Election Officer will make a declaration of candidates.
Nomination documents will be available at Colwood City Hall starting July 27, 2018. At your convenience, visit Colwood City Hall weekdays (excluding statutory holidays) between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm to pick up your package. To have a printed package mailed to you, please call 250-478-5999, or email Marcy Lalande at firstname.lastname@example.org or Amanda Irving at email@example.com to request a copy.