We're open for business
We're excited to welcome your business to our growing Colwood community! As one of the fastest growing regions in British Columbia, Colwood is a great place to bring your new business idea, or expand your enterprise.
Submit your business license applications by email using our Online Business License Application. We will review and process licenses electronically.
If you need to make a change to an your existing business license please complete a Business License Change Form.
Not sure if you require a business license?
We'd love to talk with you about it. Contact us at 250-478-5999 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can complete this Business License Application online, then send it to us by email, fax or mail.
A Business License Application is reviewed by a number of departments (planning, engineering, bylaw, building, fire) before a business license can be issued. The Capital Regional District, and Provincial and Federal governments may also have additional requirements that must be met before a business can legally operate.
PLEASE NOTE: If you operate out of a commercial space or if you are applying for a home based and/or an intermunicipal business license, you may need a fire inspection. The fire department will verify that you meet all applicable fire codes. To arrange an inspection, please call (250) 478-8321 and ask for the Prevention Division.
Approval and a new application is required when the use of a business premise is changed, a property is developed, or building additions are undertaken, in order to ensure compliance with bylaws and regulations.
No more annual business license fees!
In April 2016 Colwood Council made the decision to eliminate annual business license renewal fees. Starting in 2017, existing Colwood businesses will no longer pay a fee, but will be required to complete a quick and easy online renewal each year to keep their license in good standing. New businesses will pay a one-time fee when they first apply and, once approved, will receive a perpetual license. Read more in the article Colwood eliminates annual business license fees.
Changes to the Business License Bylaw
On June 22, 2020 Colwood Council adopted three new bylaws governing Business Licenses in the City of Colwood. The new business license bylaws are modernized and introduce the Inter-Community Business License. The Inter-Community Business License Bylaw provides businesses the ability to operate outside the Capital Regional District. Currently there are 11 municipalities on Vancouver Island participating in the Inter-Community Business License program.
Please take a moment to review the new bylaws below:
Business Licence Bylaw 1812
Inter-Community Business Licence Bylaw 1813
Development Fees and Charges Bylaw 1814 (Business License Fees)
- Get started with BizPal- an online business application that lets you search for the permits and licenses you need to start or grow your business. This service is the result of strong collaboration between the Government of Canada and participating provincial/territorial, regional, and municipal governments.
- Colwood Business Directory
- Colwood Business Licence Bylaw
- West Shore Chamber of Commerce- promoting a strong economic and social environment for our communities
- Greater Victoria Economic Development Agency
- Doing Business in the CRD
- Doing Business in BC
- Small Business BC
- BC Stats-the provincial government's largest concentration of statistical products, services and expertise
- Statistics Canada-statistics that help Canadians better understand their country-its population, resources, economy, society and culture
- Industry Canada-working with Canadians to build a growing competitive, knowledge-based economy... thereby increasing Canada's share of global trade, and build a fair, efficient and competitive marketplace