Development Services works to enhance the livability of Colwood by creating a vibrant and safe place to live by encouraging development that is socially, fiscally and environmentally sound and sustainable so that residents have access to a full range of urban amenities.
Development decisions are guided by oversees Colwood's Official Community Plan and Land Use Bylaws, which describe the City's vision for how our community will evolve in terms of land use, density and housing types. Some of the goals we are working toward include:
- creating vibrant town centres, streets and public places
- emphasizing Colwood's world-class waterfront
- preserving connections to nature and protecting natural assets
- increasing the availability of realistic transportation choices
- minimizing water and soil pollution and reducing automobile dependency, resource consumption and waste
The City is here to help
Building or renovation projects in Colwood require a Building Permit, a Development Permit, or both. If a project involves changes to property boundaries or land use, a Subdivision or Rezoning application may need to be made. If plans include a secondary suite, a Secondary Suite application will need to be submitted.
For information specific to the proposed project on your property, call the Planning Department at 250-478-5999. Our staff will help you determine which permits you need and help you navigate through the process.
Important Planning Documents
- Official Community Plan for the City of Colwood
- City of Colwood Land Use Bylaw
- City of Colwood Planning and Development Guide
- City of Colwood Street Locator
- Development Variance Permit Guidelines
- Development Cost Charges (DCC)
- Rezoning Application Guide
- Zoning Map
What development is happening in Colwood now? Check this list of Current Development Permits, Development Variance Permits and Rezoning Applications in the City of Colwood.
Colwood is an exciting place to be! Opportunities abound in our fast growing, family-friendly community that is nestled along 5 kilometers of breathtaking oceanfront and set amongst some of the most beautiful parks and trails on Southern Vancouver Island.
The City is poised for significant growth and change with new developments in the heart of Colwood and along the Royal Bay waterfront where a new master-planned community is taking shape.
Read about some feature developments in Colwood.