Blasting Permit Application

Recent Blasting Updates

Allandale Lands: blasting info and notices (Jan 2020)

Looking to the future

The City has taken steps to ensure blasting activity in sensitive areas is carefully considered both through new bylaws to regulate retaining walls and dust emissions, and through guidelines in the 2018 Colwood Official Community Plan.

The City requires that blasting companies are insured and that they issue notification to neighbouring property owners.

The blasting company must provide notification to the occupants of all buildings within 300 metres of the site that includes:

  • a description of the work being undertaken
  • dates and duration of the work
  • methods to safeguard persons and property
  • signals and warning methods
  • blasting company contact
  • insurance company contact

If a Blasting Company and/or Developer removes soil and/or rock off site that exceeds 200 cubic meters, a Blasting Permit and Soil Deposit Permit are required. 

Blasting is regulated by WorkSafeBC

WorkSafeBC oversees blasting work practices in British Columbia. They are responsible for issuing Blasting Tickets to qualified individuals and ensuring safe blasting practices. 

Warning Signals

WorkSafeBC considers proper blasting notification as follows:

  • 12 short audible whistle signals followed by a 2 minute pause;
  • Blast will be detonated;
  • A longer whistle signal to indicate 'All Clear' after detonation.

Hours of Blasting

  • Monday through Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Friday only: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • Saturdays, Sundays, & Statutory Holidays: No Blasting Permit

Pre-blasting surveys

Where explosives are employed within sixty (60) metres of any building, bridge, dam, or other structure the holder of the permit must retain an independent insurance adjuster, at the permit holder’s cost, to complete a pre-blast survey. The survey shall itemize the condition of each surveyed structure existing prior to detonation and shall be supported by photos.

Blasting in your neighbourhood

This handout outlines key information you should know about blasting in your neighbourhood.

If you believe blasting has caused damage to your home or property, contact both the blasting company and their insurance representative immediately at the contact information provided on the notice delivered to your home. If you are unsure who to call, contact the Colwood Engineering Department at 250-478-5999.

For full details, see the Colwood Blasting Bylaw No. 272