Following the 2014 municipal election, Colwood Council undertook strategic planning workshops to review and update the City's 2015-2018 Strategic Priorities. These priorities focus on our vision for Colwood as a vibrant seaside community that offers a healthy lifestyle, a strong, diverse economy and a sustainable natural environment.
The Strategic Priorities are based on four Strategic Goals: Enhance Community Well Being, Promote Well Planned Economic & Community Growth, Protect & Maintain Natural & Manmade Infrastructure and Demonstrate Management Excellence.
In addition to incorporating these goals into the everyday business of the City, Colwood Council has identified major projects in each of these areas that the city will focus on first, as we work toward our vision. Plans will be integrated to maximize teamwork, public participation, innovation and efficiency.
Enhance Community Well Being
We promote a safe, attractive and active seaside community. We inform and involve residents in decisions that affect them, promoting shared responsibility and a strong connected community. We advocate for the availability and affordability of housing and public services.
- Age Friendly City Plan - complete
- Review Regulatory Bylaws - in progress
- Community Waterfront Events - ongoing. Read about Beach Food Fridays, Eats & Beats at the Beach and the Colwood Seaside Festival
- Park Enhancements - ongoing. Read about the Colwood Creek Spray & Play Park
- Sooke Road & Island Highway Improvements (2017-18)
Promote Well Planned Economic & Community Growth
We proactively invest in economic growth and take steps to enhance Colwood’s quality of place. We promote a strong, sustainable economy with a wide range of business and investment opportunities. Careful management and active promotion create the environment for businesses to succeed.
- Review Major Bylaws: Official Community Plan, Land Use Bylaw, Subdivision & Development Bylaw, Sign Bylaw - ongoing. Read about the Making Waves Official Community Plan update
- Hire Economic Development Officer and Create City Economic Development Profile
- Business Tax and Business Licensing Review
- Transportation Master Plan - complete
- Wayfinding Plan and Waterfront Signage Enhancements
- Development Application Process & Fee Review (2017-18)
- Review of Attainable Housing & Amenity Policies (2017-18)
Protect & Maintain Natural & Manmade Infrastructure
We focus on building resilience and long term stability by ensuring our natural and manmade infrastructure and assets are maintained and funded over the long term. We prepare for future expenditures by planning proactively. We strive to protect and enhance air, land and water quality as well as green spaces, urban forests and the many natural and diverse eco-systems in the area.
- Strengthen Asset Management Systems
- Participate in Regional Sewage Treatment Plan - complete
- Metchosin Road Enhancement Project - 2017
- Lagoon Pump Station and Coastline Erosion Plan
- Central Sewer Local Area Service Expansion - complete
- Triangle Mountain Drainage Plan
- LED Street Lighting - ongoing
- Urban Forest Strategy (2017-18) - read about the City's new Tree Management Policy and Adoption of Site Adaptive Planning principles for hillside development
Demonstrate Management Excellence
We build community capacity to prevent future problems and expenditures. Careful management, fiscal responsibility, innovation, monitoring and community involvement create the environment, infrastructure, systems, services and workforce required to succeed.
- Hire Permanent CAO - complete
- Recruitment to key leadership roles: Director of Engineering & Public Works and Manager of Development Services & Approving Officer
- Undertake a Citizen Survey - complete and ongoing
- Corporate Records Management & Information Systems Review
- IT Needs Assessment and Coordinator Position - complete
- GVLRA Participation Review - ongoing
- Human Resources & Succession Planning - ongoing
- Records & Privacy Officer Position (2017-18)