What is an Official Community Plan (OCP) Amendment?

Every property in Colwood has a land use designation(s) that is outlined in the OCP Bylaw No. 1700. To find out the land use designation of your property, check out our online mapping system.

This type of application is required when a proposed development does not conform to the land use designation in the OCP. An amendment is the process of legally changing the land use designation on a property through an amending bylaw.

When Council assesses new development proposals, they are required to determine whether the project is consistent with the OCP. This is done by considering the proposal based on its designation in the OCP, and through an OCP policy assessment that is done by Planning staff. Amendments to the OCP are carefully assessed, as each new proposal should help contribute to the community achieving its visions and goals.

What is a Zoning Bylaw Amendment?

Every property in Colwood has a zoning classification that is outlined in the Land Use Bylaw No. 151. To find out the zoning classification of your property, check out our online mapping system.

A Rezoning Application is an application to amend the Land Use Bylaw. While conditions such as building setbacks or height can be varied through a Development Variance Permit (DVP), changing the permitted uses or allowable density in a particular zone requires a change to the Land Use Bylaw through a rezoning application. If your intention is to use your property for a use not currently permitted under the existing zoning you will need to apply to change it.

The purpose of rezoning is to change land use regulations to allow development that aligns with Council priorities and is often used to secure development contributions to help provide public amenities.

OCP & Rezoning Process

OCP Amendment and Rezoning applications are approved by Council in accordance with Part 14, Division 5 of the Local Government Act.

The full OCP Amendment and Rezoning process is outlined in the diagram below. Once you are ready to apply, ensure you have completed the OCP Amendment/Rezoning Application Checklist, and submit the online Development and Land Use Application form. 

Additional Links

Development and Land Use Application Form

OCP Amendment/Rezoning Application Checklist

Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 1603

Land Use Application Procedures Bylaw No. 427

If you have any questions about the OCP Amendment or Rezoning process, please contact Development Services at 250-294-8153 or planning@colwood.ca.