What is a Temporary Use Permit? 

A Temporary Use Permit (TUP) is an approval from Council for a temporary land use that does not conform to the Land Use Bylaw No. 151. A TUP may be issued for up to 3 years and can only be renewed once by Council for an additional 3 years.

What does a Temporary Use Permit do? 

A TUP may do one or more of the following:

  • Allow a temporary use not permitted by the Land Use Bylaw
  • Specify conditions under which the use may be carried on
  • Allow and regulate the construction of buildings or structures in respect of the use for which the permit is issued

Who can apply for a Temporary Use Permit?

A property owner or agent having written authorization from the property owner may submit an application.

Temporary Use Permit Approval Process

Temporary Use Permit applications are approved by Council in accordance with Part 14, Division 8 of the Local Government Act.

The full TUP process is outlined in the diagram below. Once you are ready to apply, ensure you have completed the TUP Application Checklist, and submit the online Development and Land Use Application form.

Helpful Links

Development and Land Use Application Form

TUP Application Checklist

Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 1603

Land Use Application Procedures Bylaw No. 427

If you have any questions about the Temporary Use Permit Process, please contact Development Services at 250-294-8153 or planning@colwood.ca.