The City of Colwood recognizes dogs are an important part of many families. We appreciate the efforts of all responsible dog owners in our community. To ensure the safe enjoyment of our parks and public spaces, we require pet owners to:
- keep pets under control at all times,
- clean up after pets,
- keep pets on trails so as not to disturb nesting animals or trample sensitive plants,
- keep pets on leash in designated areas, and
- observe animal services regulations.
The City contracts CRD Animal Services for enforcement of the Animal Regulation Bylaw. The CRD Animal Control Officer for Colwood can be reached by calling (250) 478-0624 or after hours at 1-800-665-7899 extension 0.
Dogs can pose a public safety risk and must be on the property of their owner unless they are under effective control. In playgrounds and picnic areas dogs must be leashed.
Other issues addressed through the Animal Regulation Bylaw include excessive barking, insufficient animal care, kennels, and licensing. The CRD Petiquette page has handy resources to help with some of these issues.
Dogs must be kept under effective control at all times to ensure the safety of all citizens. Dogs are not to run at large or be unattended in any public place, unless they are on a leash.
Dogs must be kept on leash:
- within 10 metres of any playground
- within Esquimalt Lagoon National Migratory Bird Sanctuary
- in Royal Roads University lands (which is privately owned and regulated by the University)
Dogs are prohibited at all times from:
- School District 62 grounds
- City Sports Facilities including West Shore Parks and Recreation
- Hatley Memorial Burial Park
Working and Service Dog Exemption
Working and service dogs are exempt.