Herm Williams Park on Kelly Road has a lovely shaded playground surrounded by old growth trees and grassy play areas. In 2015, two large pergolas were added to the large level grassy area to provide a gathering place for small community events and activities.
The park is dedicated to Hermon Williams - a Colwood pioneer who first purchased his home here in 1939. He was a community-minded businessesman who has been described as a 'bigger than life, hard-working family patriarch".
The Williams owned a large mink farm that spanned 20 acres between Wishart Road and Hatley Park at Royal Roads - a significant area. Herm was a farmer at heart, who also volunteered as a Colwood firefighter, was a successful real estate agent and a singer with the Orion Club. When Colwood's first Council was sworn in at the Juan de Fuca arena in 1985, Herm Williams sang O Canada - no microphone required.
Herm Williams grandson, Russ Cameron, was Colwood's longest serving Fire Chief, having provided nearly 35 years of outstanding service to our community when he retired in October 2013.