The City of Colwood is committed to sound financial management and is required by legislation to present a balanced budget every spring.
Like any business or household, the needs and wants within a municipality are often greater than what can be afforded at one time. Difficult choices must be made based on the priorities of the community and Council. The goal is to deliver a high level of service that strikes a balance between affordability for citizens and city-building initiatives that will improve quality of life while expanding our tax base.
2017 Budget process
Council will review and discuss the draft budget in public meetings during February, March and April 2016. Colwood residents are encouraged to attend meetings to learn more and provide input. Feedback is also welcome by email to email@example.com.
- February 20, 2017: Special Committee of the Whole Budget meeting to review 2017 budget documents in greater detail
- March 1, 2017: Special Committee of the Whole Budget meeting to provide Council with a first introduction to the projects, capital assets and reserves being considered in the 2017 budget.
- March 2, 2017: Special Committee of the Whole Budget meeting to review 2017 budget documents in greater detail
- March 20, 2017: Committee of the Whole Budget meeting to review draft 5 Year Financial Plan
- April 10, 2017: Council meeting with budget discussion
Meeting dates are subject to change and additional meetings may be scheduled as necessary. Check the Meeting Calendar for information about all City meetings.
View details of the proposed 2017 budget
Council will have an opportunity to consider feedback on the 2017 Financial Plan and make changes prior to giving final approval before May 15, as required by legislation.
Property tax notices are prepared after the financial plan and tax rate bylaws are adopted by Council. Tax notices are issued near the end of May and tax payments are due on the first business day after July 1st.
Read more about Property Tax.
What is Colwood's overall direction for the future?
The Colwood Official Community Plan is being updated in 2017 with significant input from the community. Learn more about how Colwood community members are Making Waves at: www.colwood.ca/MakingWaves