Working hard to make Colwood's building permit process as quick and easy as possible while maintaining the City's safety, livability and sustainability for you, your neighbours, and future property owners and residents.
Important changes to the BC Building Code
Several changes to the 2012 BC Building Code came into effect on December 19, 2014. Read more
When do I need a permit?
The City is here to help. Give us a call at 250-478-5999 before you start your building project. Our staff will assist you to determine which permits you need and walk you through the process so you can speak to your contractor with confidence and take advantage of the benefits of working with a permit.
The City of Colwood does NOT issue the following permits:
- Electrical Permits: contact the BC Safety Authority at 250-952-4444
- Gas Permits: contact the BC Safety Authority at 250-952-4443
- Septic Field Information: contact Island Health at 250-519-3401
- Potable Water Supply: contact Island Health at 250-519-3401
How do I book an inspection?
For more information, please contact the Building Inspection Assistant at 250.478.5999
- Need to find the age of a house? Visit e-Value BC on the BC Asssement site and type in the address.
- View our DBS Report submitted monthly to Statistics Canada
- CRD Regional Source Control Program ensure you are following regulations to reduce the amount of contaminants discharged into the district's sanitary sewer systems.
- Final Occupancy Checklist
- Fire Safety for Construction & Demolition Sites
- Homeowner Protection Office Residential Construction Performance Guide
- Mechanical Ventilation Checklist
- WorkSafeBC Reno/Building Your Home
- Solar Voltaic Panel Installation
- Solar Hot Water Readiness Regulation follow provincial regulations that require all new homes to be prepared for the installation of a solar hot water system in the future.
- Think Permit - Safety Authority ensure renovations on your home are completed safely, legally, and up to code.
- BC Air Quality Wood Stove Exchange Program - change out your older, smoky wood stove for low-emission appliances including new CSA-/EPA-certified clean-burning wood stoves.
- Soil Deposit / Soil Removal Engineering Department
- Sign Permit Planning Department
- Request for Property Information