We are working hard to make Colwood's building permit process as quick and easy as possible while maintaining the City's safety, livability and sustainability for you, your neighbours, and future property owners and residents.
When do I need a permit?
Get in touch with the Building Department at email@example.com or phone 250-478-5999 before you start your building project.
We're here to help! Building Department staff can assist you in determining which permits you need and walk you through the permit process.
What Plans are needed for different projects?
|Project Type||Site Plan||Foundation Plan||Floor Plan||Elevations||Cross
|Single- and Two-Family Dwellings||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Tenant Improvements||Contact Staff||Contact
- Elevations & Model View
- Foundation Plan, Site Plan, & Zoning Comparison
- Floor Plans
- Cross Section & Energy Efficiencies
- Seismic Plans
- Accessory Building Package
- Deck Details
The City of Colwood does NOT issue the following permits:
- Electrical Permits: contact Technical Safety BC at 1-866-566-7233
- Gas Permits: contact Technical Safety BC at 1-866-566-7233
- Septic Field Information: contact Island Health at 250-519-3401
- Potable Water Supply: contact Island Health at 250-519-3401
How do I book an inspection?
For more information on booking an inspection, please contact the Building Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-478-5999.
- Need to find the age of a house? Visit BC Assessment and type in the address.
- View our DBS Report submitted monthly to Statistics Canada
- CRD Regional Source Control Program ensure you are following regulations to reduce the amount of contaminants discharged into the district's sanitary sewer systems.
- Final Occupancy Checklist
- Fire Safety for Construction & Demolition Sites
- Homeowner Protection Office Residential Construction Performance Guide
- Mechanical Ventilation Checklist
- WorkSafeBC Reno/Building Your Home
- Solar Voltaic Panel Installation
- Solar Hot Water Readiness Regulation follow provincial regulations that require all new homes to be prepared for the installation of a solar hot water system in the future.
- BC Air Quality Wood Stove Exchange Program - change out your older, smoky wood stove for low-emission appliances including new CSA-/EPA-certified clean-burning wood stoves.
- Soil Deposit / Soil Removal Engineering Department