Historic Cole Island is located in Esquimalt Harbour just off Colwood's shore. The beautiful island is easily accessed by boat and is a favourite stop for kayakers and family picnics and community events.
Historically, Cole Island was strategically important to the Royal Navy as an ammunition depot. In 1859 the first two powder magazines were constructed, and five of the original structures remain today.
In June 2006, Cole Island was officially recognized as a Canadian national Historic site and designated part of a National Historic District by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. The district is considered to be "the most complete site of Royal Navy activity and infrastructure in the Commonwealth."
Learn more on the Cole Island website.