Before You Begin
Download the Building Permit Application Checklist and ensure you have all documents ready that will accompany the application, including the checklist.
If you are an agent acting on behalf of an owner or are an owner needing an agent to represent you, please complete the Agent Authorization form before continuing with the permitting process. The Agent Authorization form must be attached to the permit application.
- Go to the Online Building Permit Application
- Enter the first and last legal names and valid email address for the applicant (owner or agent of owner)
- Select Begin Signing
IMPORTANT: Please ensure the Building Permit Application Checklist has been completed, in full, prior to beginning the signing process.
Fill in Contact Information
- Enter in the first and last legal names and contact information for each owner.
IMPORTANT: All owners must be listed on the permit application. If there are additional owners on the property, please check the “I have additional owners to list via attachment” checkbox and attach a file that provides the additional owners full legal name(s) and valid email address(es) for each owner.
- Complete the Contractor or Agent information section, if applicable.
Provide Work Details
Complete all required fields
Upload all accompanying documents
IMPORTANT: DO NOT DRAG AND DROP FILES. Select files one at a time using the Upload a File button. You can upload any number of files to your application if none are over 25 MB in size. If you have larger files to attach, please check the box on the form beside the Application Attachments button. We will contact you with instructions for secure delivery of these files.
The following documents are required for every building permit application:
- Certificate of Title
- Copies of all title charges, covenants, easements, and statutory right of ways
- Construction Plans
Complete the Signing Process
- Click Sign and adopt a signature, draw, or upload your signature
- Once finished, you can choose to print or download a copy of the completed application or choose Close
IMPORTANT: You will receive an email with a link to view the completed document and can download or print a copy at your convenience.
The Colwood Building Department will automatically receive your completed application when all signers have completed the signing process. There is no need to forward any documents outside this process.