What is a Development Permit?

A Development Permit (DP) is a land use permit used by local governments to review proposed developments to ensure they meet the policies and objectives of the Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw No. 1700, and satisfy all required regulations in the Land Use Bylaw No. 151 and Off-Street Parking Bylaw No. 1909.

What is a Development Permit Area?

Development Permit Areas (DPAs) are identified in the OCP and need special treatment for certain purposes, including the protection of the natural environment and the protection  of development from hazards. These areas are also identified to establish objectives for the form and character of Colwood.

When is a Development Permit Required?

For properties located within a DPA, a Development Permit (DP) is required prior to the issuance of a building permit, or completion of a subdivision. A DP may also be required  prior to any site disturbance on your property, including the clearing of land. If your property is located within multiple DPA’s, you only need to submit one application.

Refer to the figures in Section 18 of the OCP to find out if your property is located in a DPA. Alternatively, call 250.294.8153 or email planning@colwood.ca to speak with staff.

Development Permit Approval Process

Development permits are approved by the Director of Development Services. The full DP process is outlined in the diagram below. Once you are ready to apply, ensure you have completed the Application Checklist for a Form and Character DP and/or Environmental DP,  and submit the online Development and Land Use Application form.


Additional Links

Development and Land Use Application Form

Development Permit (Form and Character) Application Checklist

Development Permit (Environmental) Application Checklist

Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 1603

If you have any questions about the Development Variance Permit Process, please contact Development Services at 250-294-8153 or planning@colwood.ca.