Who can vote?

You can vote in the City of Colwood election if you live within the City of Colwood, or you are a non-resident property elector (you own property in Colwood but live elsewhere in BC).

Residency Requirements

Only qualified City of Colwood residents and non-resident property owners are eligible to vote in the Colwood municipal election.

If you are uncertain about your municipality of residence, your property tax notice is a good document to refer to. If you are still uncertain, please contact the City of Colwood at 250-478-5999 and we will be happy to help you.

Resident Elector Qualifications

In order to be eligible to vote as a resident elector on Voting Day you must satisfy all of the following criteria:

  • age 18 or older; and
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration; and
  • not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.

Are you on the Voters List?

You must register to vote before you receive a ballot. The City of Colwood will use the Provincial Voters’ List as the City’s List of Registered Electors for the 2022 City of Colwood local general election. If you are registered as an elector, you should already be on this list. To confirm that you are on the Provincial Voters' List in the City of Colwood, please contact Elections BC by phone at 1.800.661.8683. If you feel you might not be on the provincial voters’ list, or, if you wish to register to vote, you may do so online through Elections BC.

If you were not on the Provincial Voters List before it is provided to the City in July 2022, your name will not be on the City's list. Please contact Colwood City Hall at 250-478-5999 to confirm whether you are registered to vote in the 2022 local election.

Legislation requires that advance registration for the 2022 local general election must close at 4:30 pm on Tuesday, August 23, 2022.  After that time, people wishing to vote in the 2022 local general election must wait until advance voting or general voting day to register.  Please complete Application for Registration As Local Government Resident Elector in advance or at the polls.

Do you have to be on the Voters List in order to vote?

No. You may register to vote on the advanced voting or general voting day at the voting location if you meet the elector qualifications. 

What are the identification requirements if you are not yet registered to vote?

The following ID requirements must be met when registering at the time of voting:

  • at least two pieces of ID must be shown that provides evidence of the person's identity and place of residence, one of which must contain the person's signature; OR
  • at least two pieces of ID must be shown that provides evidence of the person's identity, one of which must contain the person's signature and the person must make a solemn declaration as to their place of residence.

What identification should I bring?

The following are examples of acceptable identification documents:

  • BC Drivers License
  • BC Identification Card (BCID)
  • BC Services Card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Indian Status as issued by the Government of Canada
  • Canadian passport
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Old Age Security Identification Card
  • Canadian Forces Identification
  • Property Tax Notice from the City of Colwood
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits
  • BC Government cheque
  • Income Tax Assessment Notice
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Bank/credit card statement issued by a Canadian bank or credit union
  • Utility Bill
  • Student card issued by the University of Victoria, Camosun College or Royal Roads University
  • Library card issued by the Greater Victoria Public Library

Non-Resident Property Elector

People who are not residents of the City of Colwood may vote if they own property in the City of Colwood and qualify as a non-resident property owner.

 To vote as a non-resident property elector, you must meet all of these requirements:

  • You are not entitled to register as a resident elector in City of Colwood;
  • You are not registered as a non-resident property elector in relation to any other parcel of property in the City of Colwood;
  • You are a Canadian citizen;
  • You have been a resident in BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
  • You are 18 years or older, or you will be turning 18 on or before the election on October 15, 2022;
  • You are not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or are otherwise disqualified by law;
  • The only persons who are registered owners of the property or individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or other trust; and
  • You have received the written consent of the majority of registered owners of the property, authorizing you to be registered as the non-resident property elector for this property (if applicable). Only one person can vote in relation to a given property.Click here to download a Non-Resident Property Elector Consent Form.

Please note that companies and corporations are not eligible to vote.

A non-resident property elector may also register at the time of voting.  All of the above qualifications and identification requirements must be met.  Proof of ownership may be established by presenting a 2022 Land Title Certificate or a 2022 Assessment of Property Tax Notice.

For further information about registering to vote as a non-resident property elector, please contact the City of Colwood at 250-478-5999.

What measures are in place to assist voters with a physical disability or impaired mobility?

For voters who are unable to enter the voting place due to age, a physical disability, or impaired mobility, an election official can attend to your vehicle with a ballot. This is commonly referred to as “curbside voting”. The elector will be required to sign the voting book and, in private, mark the ballot and place it in the secrecy sleeve provided. Another election official or the individual who accompanied the elector may be asked to return to the polling station with the election official to observe that the election official placed the ballot in the automated voting machine in a manner that upheld the secrecy of the ballot.

If you have difficulty marking a ballot due to physical disability or difficulties with reading or writing, an election official or a person accompanying you may assist. That person must make a solemn declaration that they will preserve the secrecy of the ballot, mark the ballot in accordance with your wishes, and not attempt to influence you as to how you should vote.