If you want to use fireworks on the West Shore, you need to take the free fireworks safety course to obtain a permit.
View Royal, Highlands, Langford and Colwood all have Fireworks Bylaws to regulate the sale, possession, and discharge of fireworks in the community. The bylaws are in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year.
- A permit is required to possess or discharge any fireworks
- You must be 18 years of age or older to obtain a permit
- Consumer fireworks events may only take place on October 31 between 5 pm and 10 pm
- No fireworks or firecrackers may be sold or traded in these municipalities
2019 Fireworks Safety Courses
- Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 1pm: View Royal Fire Hall, 333 Island Highway
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 10am: Langford Fire Hall, 2625 Peatt Road
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 7pm: Colwood City Hall, 3300 Wishart Road
*The certificate of completion for the Fireworks Safety Course is valid for three years. If you took the course in 2016 or earlier you are required to take it again. If you took the course in 2017 or 2018 you may want to take it again to refresh your safety knowledge, but you do not need to repeat the course in order to apply for a permit.
PLEASE NOTE: The issuance of fireworks permits will be contingent on current fire conditions.