Mar 25, 2024

Colwood has earned a BC Active Transportation Infrastructure Grant of $208,000 to support the completion of intersection upgrades at Wale and Wilfert Roads, where the Galloping Goose Regional Trail crosses Wale Road. 

"Improving the safety and accessibility of the intersection of Wale and Wilfert Roads is important for our growing community, particularly as it links to the new bridge that will better connect the Galloping Goose Regional Trail over Sooke Road," said Colwood Mayor Doug Kobayashi. "Making it safer and easier for residents to choose to walk or cycle supports a healthy lifestyle and has the potential to reduce traffic congestion, lower greenhouse gas emissions, increase social connections, and foster community pride."

Encouraging active transportation and targeting climate goals

Improving the safety and flow of this intersection and better connecting the Galloping Goose corridor through Colwood is aimed at encouraging people to choose walking and cycling for more of their trips within our community.

This intersection will connect trail users to the new Galloping Goose pedestrian and cycling bridge scheduled for construction over Sooke Road to create a seamless trail connection through Colwood.

The shift to active transportation is an important way we'll reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. Transportation was the source of 57% of Colwood's emissions when last reported in 2018. 

Designed to improve safety for all users

This intersection is expected to see an increase in use once construction of a new 300-unit apartment building is complete on Wilfert Road. That development is funding 74% of the intersection upgrade as part of its required frontage improvements. The BC Active Transportation Grant will provide over half of the remaining 26% required to complete this project by March 31, 2026.

The intersection will be signalized in all directions, and will include a new diagonal shared crossing for users of the Galloping Goose Regional Trail. Bike lanes and conflict zones will be clearly painted, and bike lane protection will be added. The sidewalk will be extended along Wilfert Road, and turning movements will be improved for larger vehicles. 

Read more in the BC Government news release at B.C. builds cleaner communities with active transportation

Media contact

Sandra Russell, Communications Manager

Find this release online at
Subscribe for Colwood news at
Follow @CityofColwood on facebooktwitter and instagram