A Rich and Vibrant History

Colwood has a rich and interesting history that tells of First Nations heritage, the escapades of the Royal Navy and the Hudson's Bay Company, the establishment of a caring and generous community of early settlers, the history of treasured sites like Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse, and Victorian high society affairs at Hatley Castle. 

Colwood Chronicles

Get your copy of the Colwood Chronicles - the first complete book about the history of Colwood! Just $20 per copy at Colwood City Hall, Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre and Coast Collective Art Gallery, they make a wonderful gift!

 

 

 

Colwood's Historical Timeline

1852 - Colwood Dairy is built

The Colwood Dairy and Cheese House, the Island’s first stone diary, was constructed in 1852 on the 600 acre Esquimalt Farm that lies between Esquimalt Harbour and Langford Lake. The dairy is now considered to be the oldest building on the West Shore, and one of the six oldest buildings in the province. A new development on the site includes plans to incorporate this historic building into the landscape and open it to the public. Read about 486 Landmark development plans and see photos in this blog by Toad Hollow Photography.

1853 - Chief Justice Cameron builds house at Belmont

Chief Justice David Cameron builds a house at Belmont, now the site of Fort Rodd Hill National Historic site.

1860 - Fisgard Lighthouse constructed

Fisgard Lighthouse is constructed to guide to guide vessels through the entrance of Esquimalt harbour. It was the first lighthouse built on Canada's west coast. The lighthouse was automated in 1929, and continues to be a working lighthouse today.

 

1860 - Sawmill at Esquimalt Lagoon

A sawmill is opened on Colwood Creek above Esquimalt Lagoon on what is now Royal Roads land.

 

1874 - Original Colwood School built

The original Colwood School is built on Sooke Road on land donated by local farmer, Arthur Peatt. 

1879 - Colwood's first hotel is built

The first Colwood hotel is built with Andrew J. Bechtel as the proprietor.

1880 - Esquimalt Lagoon firing range

Esquimalt Lagoon was used as a firing range for the Royal Navy during the 1880's. It was also the site of farms, a tannery and a sawmill in the 19th century. It continued to be used as a rifle range by Royal Roads military college well into the 20th century.

1881 - Havenwood purchased from the Crown

Havenwood (acreage on the border of Esquimalt Lagoon in Colwood) Havenwood purchased from the Crown by the Belmont Tanning & Boot and Shot Manufacturing Company. The company also owned and operated a sawmill & then a tannery from 1870-1920 on Cottonwood Creek (now Colwood Creek) in Hatley Park.

1890s - Horse Racing at Colwood Corners

Steeple and flat course horse racing tracks were located near Colwood Corners on the land that is now Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre.

1892 - Colwood farm leased out

William John Wale leased the 600 acre Colwood Farm for the sum of $400 per year, and in 1899 he was appointed the first Justice of the Peace for the Province of BC.

1892 - Colwood hotel burns down

The Colwood Hotel burned down and was rebuilt, then sold it to Mrs. Miller, who became the owner of the Goldstream Inn.

1895 - Fort Rodd Hill armed

Fort Rodd Hill was armed to guard the Royal Navy yards at Esquimalt.

1902 - James Dunsmuir purchases Hatley Park Estate

Honourable James Dunsmuir, member of the BC Legislature purchased Hatley Park Estate at Esquimalt Lagoon.

1910 - Colwood Women's Institute

Colwood Women’s Institute is formed and hosts fundraising garden parties at Hatley Castle to build the Colwood Community Hall, St. John the Baptist Church and in 1927, the Queen Alexandra Solarium which is now the Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island.

1913 - St. John the Baptist Church built

Saint John the Baptist Church was built on land that had been donated by Alfred Peatt and with the aid of fund-raising by the Colwood Women’s Institute and the support of Mrs. Laura Dunsmuir.

1914 - Colwood Golf and Country Club formed

Colwood Golf and Country Club is formed on land purchased by Joseph Sayward and James Dunsmuir. Read more about the history of the Royal Colwood Golf Club.

1919 - Producer's Pit began operations

Producer's Pit (now known as Royal Bay) began operations circa 1919 as one of the area's largest industrial sites and major employers, extracting sand and gravel to meet local needs and also sending countless barge-loads to the Mainland and Washington State. It was one of the region's largest industrial sites, and Colwood's major employer. At its peak, it produced and barged out more than 20,000 tonnes of aggregate every day. The site was decommissioned by the owner in 2007. In 2007 - its last year of operation - the gravel pit provided a hefty $912,282 in tax revenue for the City of Colwood. 

1920

F.W. Jones of Golden, BC opens up the gravel pit at Royal Bay.

1922

The first cottage (the Stone Cottage) was built on the Havenwood property near Esquimalt Lagoon. The Beesemyer family lived in the cottage, followed by the Pendray family.

1925

Alfred Peatt donates Pioneer Cemetery to the community for a public burial ground. Read more about the history of Pioneer Cemetery.

1927

Pendray House completed at Havenwood property near Esquimalt Lagoon.

1935 - the Dugout Restaurant at Esquimalt Lagoon

A beer parlour and sea food restaurant known as the Dugout was built and maintained on the site for many years. The structure was destroyed by fire and was sorely missed by soldiers from Fort Rodd and sailors from Naden.

1939

Colwood Volunteer Fire Department originates from a 1939 Air Raid Protection Unit, which included fire fighting in their duties.

1940

The Federal Government converts Hatley Castle and grounds into a naval training establishment.

1941

Triangle Mountain becomes the site of the Fortress Commanders Post.

1966

Pendray House at Havenwood on the Esquimalt Lagoon was purchased by Blarney Properties Limited. It was first used as a country club, and then a rest home called Heatherbell Gardens Rest Home.

1972

Pacific Centre for Human Development began leasing Havenwood from Mrs. Ellis. A summer camp began there in 1977 and in 1980 Pacific Centre for Human Development purchased the property.

1985

City of Colwood Incorporated

2008

Coast Collective Art Centre began using Pendray House at Havenwood near Esquimalt Lagoon as an Art Centre.