Do Colwood homeowners pay more in property taxes than their counterparts around the region?
There are many variations in the services each municipality provides, making it difficult to compare 'apples to apples'. However the information below compiled each year by the BC Provincial Government provides some perspective.
The information compares the amount a 'representative house' in each municipality pays in residential taxes as well as other user fees.
The full table can be found on the BC Government website at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/local-governments/facts-f...
Taxes and Charges on a Representative House - 2020
|Municipalities||House Value||School||General Municipal||Regional District||Hospital||BCA, MFA, Other||Total Res
Variable Rate Taxes
What projects will 2021 taxes go toward?
You can review the Draft 2021-2025 Five Year Financial Plan for full details about service increases, capital projects and special initiatives.
A few examples include:
- New sidewalk and cycling lanes along the length of Painter Road to improve access, especially for students walking or cycling to and from Dunsmuir, Royal Bay, Sangster and Wishart Schools as well as people using the Painter Trail.
- Continuation of sidewalks and cycling lanes on Metchosin Road between Cotlow Road and Benhomer Road.
- Intersection upgrades at Latoria Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway, with a new roundabout to improve traffic flow. This project is in partnership with the Olympic View development.
- Road and intersection upgrades on Veterans Memorial Parkway between Sooke Road and Cairndale Road to support the growing development in the Allandale District.
- Traffic Calming Pilot Projects in areas throughout the City, working with residents to improve the comfort and safety of neighbourhoods.
- Park Improvement Plans that will advance the community's wishes as expressed in the Parks & Recreation Master Plan.
- Creation of a Waterfront Improvement Plan with designs for a waterfront walkway connecting the Lagoon Beach to Royal Beach.
- Working toward construction of a Galloping Goose pedestrian and cycling bridge over Sooke Road from the Wale Road crossing to create a safe and seamless connection. The City has applied for a grant to help fund this project.
- Sewer Master Plan Update
- Drainage and Flow Monitoring
- Policing Enhancements and Emergency Planning Initiatives
Curious to dive deeper?
The community's expectations are outlined in plans that provide the vision and direction for the work of the City. Take time to get to learn more and get involved.