Nov 16, 2018

Colwood is accepting expressions of interest for its three-person Board of Variance. Each appointment is for a three year term.

What does the Board of Variance do?

The Board of Variance makes decisions on applications for minor development variances where compliance with land use regulations would cause undue hardship. The focus is primarily on issues relating to siting, dimensions and size of buildings. Decisions cannot conflict with other matters such as Land Title Act covenants, phased development agreements, permits or land use contracts or floodplain bylaw specifications.

The Local Government Act requires that every local government that has adopted a zoning bylaw must establish a board of variance for this purpose.

Submit your expression of interest

If you are interested, please submit an expression of interest including a brief resume providing your contact information and outlining your relevant experience, including technical or special expertise, to the Director of Corporate Services, Selina Williams, by 4:30 p.m. on December 5, 2018.

For more information about the role of the Board of Variance, please review Bylaw No. 702. Copies can also be obtained at 3300 Wishart Road, by calling 250-478-5999, or by emailing

We appreciate all submissions, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.