COLWOOD, BC –The City of Colwood was recently named an official Canadian Solar City by the Canadian Solar Cities Project, recognizing it as one of the most sustainable places in the world.
Visit the City of Colwood and you’ll see the power of the sun. On the roof of the Colwood Fire Station you’ll find solar hot water and electric panels. You’ll notice an increasing number of families are becoming “energy champions” by installing home energy improvements like solar hot water panels and heat pumps. There are electric vehicle charging stations at the City’s Park and Ride area, near the public library and at City hall. And wheeling around the streets you’ll see the electric public works truck, which saves the City over $3500 a year in fuel costs.
These are just a few of the ways the City of Colwood met the strict 10-point criteria that qualify it as a Canadian Solar City. The driving force behind many of these initiatives is the Solar Colwood program. Through funding from Natural Resources Canada and support from partners such as BC Hydro, the program is raising awareness about clean energy options and providing incentives that make it easier for residents and businesses to benefit from energy savings.
On Saturday, February 23rd, join the City of Colwood at the Juan de Fuca Branch of the Greater Victoria Library for our “Here Comes the Sun” event - a fun and interactive community event to celebrate this award.
At “Here Comes the Sun” you’ll see how the electric vehicle charging stations work and get all the information you need about solar installations for your home. Chat with Colwood neighbours who have installed energy saving options to get the real deal on how it works and the benefits they enjoy. Take a look inside some electric cars and learn why their owners love them so much. And bring the kids along - there’s a free workshop just for them where they’ll have fun learning about energy challenges and solutions with the BC Sustainable Energy Association.
You’ll also find out why Colwood has been named one of the leading 17 cities in the world! We hope to see you there.
Attachment: Event details listed below
Sandra Russell, Communications Manager, City of Colwood
Judith Cullington, Councillor, City of Colwood
Here Comes the Sun!
Something for Everyone
Saturday, February 23, 2013
10am to noon
Juan de Fuca Library
Clean and efficient energy solutions are “springing” up all over Colwood! Find out how you can save on energy costs at home, at work, and on the road. Join the opening of the public electric vehicle charging stations, hear why our city has earned the title ‘Canadian Solar City’ and help us make Colwood the Earth Hour Capital of Canada!
- Explore Electric Vehicles: Take a look inside some electric vehicles and talk to enthusiastic owners about why they love them so much.
- FREE Fun Learning for Kids: Send the kids off to a free, fun, hour-long interactive workshop about energy and our changing climate.
- Become an Energy Champion: Get your free energy and water saving kit and bring your best questions about solar energy, heat pumps, and incentives for your upgrades, and how to get them working for you.
- Be a part of history as our brand-new electric vehicle charging stations are unveiled at the Juan de Fuca Library.
- Be the first to see the sun-forged brass sundial award the City of Colwood will receive for being named an official Canadian Solar City.
- Show Vancouver Island pride! Vote for Colwood to become the Earth Hour Capital of Canada.