Here are some fast facts about Colwood:
- Colwood sits on the traditional lands of the Lekwunken speaking people, the Songhees, Esquimalt and Sci'anew nations.
- Colwood is a seaside community set along more that 7 km of ocean waterfront.
- Colwood has a population of about 18,617 people in approximately 7,000 private households.
- Colwood's population is set to increase 35% by the year 2028, to a population of 22,742 and an additional increase of 16% by 2038 to a population of 26,484. Read the City of Colwood Demographic Study and Land Analysis for more details.
- Colwood's workforce is highly educated and Colwood residents have a higher median household income than neighbouring communities.
- The majority of working individuals hold occupations in sales and service; business, finance and administration; education, law, and community and government services.
- There are over 600 businesses in Colwood, including home based businesses. It is anticipated that up to approximately 204,000 square feet of retail floor space could be added to the City of Colwood by 2038.
- Employment opportunities are projected to increase by 83.7% in Colwood by 2038.*
- BC Transit plans to construct transit priority lanes between Colwood Corners and downtown Victoria are in progress. A ferry route between Royal Bay and Victoria Harbour are also being explored. This makes the City an excellent choice for innovative and forward thinking employers. Check out Go Colwood for more information.
- Colwood is home to one university, one high school, two middle schools, four elementary schools, including one french immersion school as well as alternative education programs and an innovative nature preschool. See the Education page.
- Colwood boasts three national historic sites: Hatley Castle, Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse.
- Esquimalt Lagoon in Colwood is a National Migratory Bird Sanctuary.
- Colwood is home to three golf courses: Royal Colwood Golf Club, Olympic View Golf Course and Juan de Fuca Golf Course, with Bear Mountain Resort just 10km away.
- There are more than 52 parks in Colwood. Check out a few on our Parks & Trails page.
- Colwood's Official Community Plan outlines how the City is working toward it's vision as a spectacular seaside community set apart by its outstanding natural setting and exceptional quality of life.
- See just a few of the City's recent awards and achievements.
See the Province of BC Community Information Tool and Statistics Canada 2016 Census Profile for the City of Colwood to learn more.