Update - August 8, 2017
Onni Group expected to begin work at Colwood Corners in mid August, toward completion of phase one in 2020. Read more at Onni excited to announce plans for Colwood Corners.
Update - January 4, 2017
The City received updated development plans for Colwood Corners from Onni Group on December 22, 2016.
The number of units, commercial floor area, and siting remain largely the same as the previous submission. View the site plan in pdf format (this is a large file that may take a moment to load).
Highlights from Onni’s latest submission include the following:
- Phase 1 (Buildings 1-8) will provide 276 residential rental units and approximately 14,200 square metres of commercial floor area.
- Phase 2 includes two residential buildings with 201 units (Buildings 9 and 10)
- The new submission includes a Sooke Road cycle lane and boulevard adjacent to the development.
Overall improvements made to the architectural form and character of buildings including:
- Variation in façade elements (colours, materials, and increased glazing);
- Increased design elements in the façade at the pedestrian level such as use of reveals and architectural elements;
- Additional variation of roofline angles and treatments.
Overall improvements to emphasize pedestrian environment such as:
- Enhancement of pedestrian areas with benches, landscaping, lighting, design details;
- Provision of outdoor open space including a children’s play area with connections to the Galloping Goose Trail.
- Enhancements to existing London Drugs building as shown below.
Next steps include finalization of the development permit and preparation of a staff report to Council outlining the relatively minor outstanding issues that require a decision of Council. Staff expect to receive updated information from the applicant in time to report to Council in February or March at the latest.
Update - June 29, 2016
The City of Colwood has received a development application with new plans for the first phase of the City Centre property on Sooke Road at Goldstream Avenue. The 12.5-acre parcel bordered by Sooke, Jerome and Belmont roads was purchased by Onni in 2014. The application submitted by Onni Group includes drawings that envision a mixed use development with 13,887 square metres of retail and commercial buildings that would also provide approximately 284 rental housing units. Plans show buildings between one and five storeys high.
Update - October 2015:
The concept shows smaller scale development than the previous plans for the site, with six buildings in the first phase. Three buildings show residential housing on top with commercial units on the ground floor, and three buildings would be dedicated to commercial spaces. The site includes additional property that would be developed in future phases.
Update - February 2015:
Onni Group has purchased the City Centre property on Sooke Road opposite Goldstream Avenue. This project is in the initial stages of planning and the City expects to see applications for development in 2016.
Onni is a Vancouver company that specializes in mixed-use and residential development such as those shown below:
Example development 1: Suter Brook Village in Port Moody
Example development 2: The Drive in North Vancouver